Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Things That Made Me Happy...

…in my comics this week.  Actually, this includes comics from last week, too.

Okay, not merely Gypsy walking barefoot through downtown Detroit but… a CLOSE-UP of her feet!  Rule 34, I assume.
Dale Gunn is…is…m-m-married?!?!  That’s…the second biggest surprise in comics this week!
Among the many mindboggling wonders of Earth-1 is that its Detroit has a library.  A functioning public library.  I’m guessing that, ironically, Earth-1 Detroit is better off than ours BECAUSE it was attacked by Darkseid, which sparked government and private investment in renovation.  But I like the implication being that getting attacked by Darkseid and his armies could only improve Detroit.
“Official” Justice League busin--?  Oh--- I get it.  Sneaky.
Aaaargh; dammit.  Fine, fine, DC; the popcorn won me over.
Someone assist me to the couch!  I just saw Gypsy buy SHOES.
ZOMBIE LANA.
“Cynnthia”. Oh, how I laughed and laughed…!
There are still file cabinets in the Batcave, just like in the Golden and Silver Ages.
WHY there are still file cabinets in the Batcave.
Elemental Woman brings new meaning to the term “headlights”.
Writing the Flash – who is a police scientist – as a detective title rather than a superhero one is both very smart and extremely refreshing.
I’ve never seen anyone haunt… himself.  Another winner from Adventures of Superman.
So, teeny tiny brains are impermeable to telepathy, eh?  Where’s Hal Jordan when you need him?
Oh, Barry, you make me laugh.  Your old routine IS gorilla invasions, rogues, and jail breaks.
Okay; Prison of War can see through his mask, has a bondage relic that can create force fields, and can summon a platoon of ghost comrades to fight other supernatural threats?  What an absurd and idiotic mishmash of ad hoc, thematic abilities.  GOD, I love the DCU.
Isn’t that pretty much the last person you’d expect to be taking the subway?
What Swamp Thing is afraid of.
I *snicker*, I just can’t *snort*-- okay, okay I’ll say it: apparently, Superman’s in Wonder Woman’s box.

LOL, 'reversed the flow of his synpases'?  Synapses do not have "flow", DC comics; who's writing this stuff... Garnder Fox, Enemy of Correct Science?!
Putting him in “the Morgue” is like throwing a pig in the mud.
Finally, an origin for Black Adam that makes a little more sense.  In a Shazam-y way, of course.
Vartox is my new favorite comedy character.  I can’t say that Channel 52 is what would want DC to do with valuable page real estate in every book every month, but at least in brings a little light touch to a literary universe that seems otherwise devoid of humor (except for Element Woman).
“Hot … and melty.”  Okay, Vartox, maybe you have some competition.
Speaking of which, the odd couple of Jonah Hex and Booster Gold is nearly enough to make me forget Blue&Gold.
Wow, he picked up Xanadu so fast you’d think she was Zatanna.  But then again, he’s good at that sort of thing.
It would not have occurred to me (but should have) that he would be the prime suspect in Marissa’s murder.  But in the New52, why would anyone suspect anyone else?
Ah, J’onn J’onnz; creepy, heartless, manipulative liar.  Welcome back, J’onn.
 “We can be exciting and practical.”  And THAT is why I love that man.
“What gave me away…?”  LMFAO, okay, more competition for Vartox.
I’m starting to warm up to The Others a bit, but I still would love to see Zeema the Breast Woman give up that magic metro card amulet she has to Arthur, who REALLY needs the ability to pop around anywhere he wants in the ocean (or elsewhere).  Because if there is a power “lamer” than “talking to fish” it’s “talking to jaguars”.
Characterizing normal speed as “real time”; interesting way of thinking of it, DC.
Ibac; heh, nice reference.  One I assume we’ll see again. 
“You two know each other?”  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHhahaa.  Indeed.
Well, well, well; look who’s actually more powerful than a locomotive.
Now that is a great Superman cover.

5 comments:

SallyP said...

Gah! I haven't even READ my comics yet...but you intrigue me mightily.

Scipio said...

A wacky week in comics it is.

SallyP said...

Ok, now that I have READ everything...I have to say that I agree with you completely!

I am having so much fun with Orion. And Aquaman was a hoot, and Justice League had its moments, and I wallowed...WALLOWED in Green Lanternness!

It was indeed a very good week.

Randy Jackson said...

Going to disagree with you about Black Adam. I really dislike the entire idea of tying the arch-enemy of a hero to that heroes family. They tried the same thing with Sivana years ago, and I just don't understand it. I'd like to think that crazed mad scientists don't have to be related to you to be crazed mad scientists.

Scipio said...

Hm; I don't think you and I interpret that Black Adam story the same way.

Adam isn't related to Billy. The Wizard didn't give the power, he gave the power to a little boy in ancient Kandaqh, who shared it with his uncle in order to save him.